Saturday, February 17, 2018

DIY Paper bag floor

Paper Bag Floor

     Alright now, anyone who is familiar with East Texas knows that it rains like all the time.  A must, for me anyway, in order to happily live here is to have many indoor projects.  February is one of those rainy months so my first indoor project is to try my hand at the Paper Bag Floor.  I heard about this as a money saving flooring option, and since my youngest son, Colt, told me to" Google everything", I did.  Researched for days, watched every you tube, and read every blog I could find.
The best of all: http://www.domesticimperfection.com/my-paper-bag-floor-one-year-later/.  She absolutely did a wonderful job with her research.
     As I mentioned before, this is a double wide mobile home, which originally had carpet in every room except the kitchen.  In the bathrooms----Really--- yes it did.  Okay I say to self, this just has to go.  Starting with the smaller bathroom first, as a okay let me give this a try, not concerned with too much, I can always go back and lay flooring over it if I don't like it right.
  My first thought was where do I get paper bags, everyone has plastic theses days.  Amazon?  Thanks to my wonderful friend Jo in LasVegas, who is obsessed with all natural, just happened to have a stack and did not have a clue why she was saving them.  Deep down her soul must have know I would need them.
     So out comes the carpet which was stapled to the particle wood floor, removed all staples or hammered them in which ever applied and ready to move on.

     Ripped up the bags and wadded them into balls in order to get the crinkled effect.   Mixed one part Elmer all purpose glue with one part water.  Carefully wet the back side, laid it down and went over the top with the glue mixture with a paint brush.
     The paper bags are thick so it was not too hard to work with, although it did get bubbles and some parts did not want to lay flat.

     I did notice after I put on the varnish that it had bled under some of the edges and of course made darker spots that show up a lot.  At this point I decided that it would do for now, until I find a fix or redo and went on to apply the varnish.
Okay not bad for a first timer who has no clue what she is doing.  Probably made more work for myself at a later date, yet for now, it is better than the particle board.



My Notes:  How do I stop the paper from getting bubbles,-- I have no clue--👎
I really do not like the color, although some might, after one coat of varnish the floor is absolutely
shinny and appears nice.  Will I keep it this way?  No, I will for sure redo this floor at a later date.  
More personal input and thought before I start to tear it up and redo it.
For now----- on to something new.
   
 Catch ya later! ~Sis

No comments:

Post a Comment